perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Boysenberry Payne <boysenbe...@humaniteque.com>
Subject Re: Perl and ASP.Net
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:55:29 GMT
On Apr 25, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Michael Peters wrote:

> Boysenberry Payne wrote:
>> One of the draw back that seems to be evident to me as I've looked
>> into the client side frameworks is changes in the code are ought
>> of your control.  WIth a purely server side solution it would seem
>> to give the coder the choice to upgrade when there is time, etc.
>> With the 3rd party frameworks they choose when you upgrade.
>> For the more stable solutions this is less of a problem.  For the
>> newer technologies I've heard a lot of grumbling about having
>> to recode every time there is an upgrade...
>
> Huh? The JS in your project is always under your control. It's just
> like any 3rd
> party component (like CPAN modules). You only upgrade it when you
> want to. The
> only case that I know of where people pull in 3rd party JS
> components that
> aren't locally controlled are those that use YUI and pull in their
> publicly
> hosted files. (And this is only to boost download time since if
> every site using
> the YUI libraries uses the same URL, a browser should just be able
> to use a
> cached version). But even then you can specify specific versions.

It was Yahoo's yui-ext library aka extjs that I was told this could
really be a problem
with.  So I guess all JS frameworks aren't created equal.

Can you recommend a site or resource for comparison of the differing
frameworks?

It would seem like there is definitely a place for this in our
product, saving me lots of development
time and all.

PS Sorry for the non mod_perl noise.  I'm hoping its well tolerated,
in that I use mod_perl
extensively and need to learn integrate it with other non-mod_perl
tech, e.g. it
serves up my JS, etc...

Boysenberry Payne
boysenberry@habitatlife.com