perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Rafael Caceres <rcace...@aasa.com.pe>
Subject Re: Growing Up
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:15:54 GMT
On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 12:21 -0700, Will Fould wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a service that is currently running a basic LAMP stack with
> mod_perl  and life has been good!
>
> The site running has been getting very busy and I've ordered a second
> machine with intention to move the database off that machine and start
> the growing up process.
>
> I am looking for next steps to growing up from this machine.  Can
> somebody recommend a good article, presentation or document that
> advocates various strategies to growing up the current architecture
> (i.e. basic load balancing, network topology, switches, etc. )?
>
> I realize that milage will vary based on the particular service and
> demands. Currently, the site does not deliver a lot of static content
> that can be cached or cause huge I/O issues (i.e. images, media, huge
> pages, etc). Our database is probably 95% read-only.
>
> Thanks a lot

There is a consideration, regarding using a proxy or a different server,
that has not been brought up: If there is mod_perl based access control
for the static files, then it's basically impossible not to go through a
mod_perl server to serve them.
In fact, I'm not sure what the effect would be in that scenario if a
proxy was used: would it serve the static file regardless of the access
control?, does it depend on the expiration data on the headers sent
through the proxy when the acess controled static file was sent?

Rafael Caceres

Analizado por ThMailServer para Linux.