perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Alex Beamish" <tal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple versions of mod_perl?
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:12:44 GMT
On 3/6/07, Jonathan Vanasco <jvanasco@2xlp.com> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2007, at 7:00 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> > What version of "better" is that?  It sounds like my worst nightmare!
> >
> > You're running an ancient and unsupported version of mod_perl.  You
> > really need to upgrade.  I'm not sure you can expect two different
> > versions of AuthCookie to cooperate either.  Just go ahead and run a
> > recent version of mod_perl, and use a single release of AuthCookie.
>
> Yeah.  I'd agree.

Thanks for the feedback.

Its technically possible - you can run multiple versions, but its
> going to be a nightmare maintaining that.

Well, it's a test system .. but I agree it's going to be a challenge.

The version 1.99 is way old , buggy, and unsupported.  There have
> been a ton of apache updates since 2.4 too -- many of them security
> related.  Add to that there was a GIANT api switch in 2.0.5(?) that
> isn't backwards compatible.  Even if your solution worked, you're
> only going to be creating new problems.
>
> Upgrade your distribution to something stable , if you need to keep
> it for some crazy reason --  find out exactly why the authcookie
> isn't working.  It shouldn't be difficult to subclass the Authcookie
> on server 1, and make it work with Apache2::Authcookie.
>
> Exactly why is server 1 using apache::authcookie though?  Shouldn't
> it be using apache2::authcookie ? 1.99 is mp2 beta -- the authcookie
> module (at least one tied to something before the api switch ) should
> work.

It's the old story -- this was a prototype thrown together that we spent a
bit of time developing. It got turned into a piece of code that we used for
'a little processing' .. and then Production. I'm slowly upgrading it and
moving it to newer platforms.

Thanks again.

--
Alex Beamish