perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Perrin Harkins" <phark...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl implementation possibility
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:40:23 GMT
On 3/16/07, James. L <perlwle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> any special setup for mod_perl 1 + apache 1 under
> virtual host? it works but my impression is that it is
> hard to setup and must be coded very carefully.

It's not hard to setup, and it doesn't require any special coding
practices beyond any other long-running perl program.  Since there is
only one interpreter running in each child process, you can't do crazy
things like load two different versions of the same module.  If you
wanted to do that (say you want to have your staging code and your
production code), the easiest approach is to run multiple apaches.
There's a lot of documentation and suggestions about this in the docs
on perl.apache.org and in the mod_perl books.

> that's probably the reason why i rarely see mod_perl
> offered in share dhosting environment.

If you're looking for cheap hosting, try looking for one that offers
you your own virtual machine with full access.  Those are pretty
inexpensive.

- Perrin