perl-modperl mailing list archives

From RA Jones <ra.jo...@dpw.clara.co.uk>
Subject Poor Apache/mod_perl performance
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:45:09 GMT
Hi folks,

Please help with a problem I'm experiencing regarding performance. Setup
is a VPS running Debian (Ubuntu server) on AMD64. In some fairly crude
timing loops of a Perl script run from the command line, the AMD64
out-performs my other platforms, so I think the Perl part is OK. But
Apache/mod_perl performance is pretty abysmal.

I installed from a standard httpd-2.2.3.tar.gz from an Apache.org mirror
site, and Bundle::Apache2 from CPAN - as far as I know neither is
optimised for AMD64. The Debian Apache-Perl package is version 1.3 I
think, and I would rather use the more recent version 2's so I avoided
it. Is my poor Apache/mod_perl (and mediocre mod_cgi performance) likely
to be related to the 64-bit architecture?

I'm not too familiar with Debian or 64-bit systems, having previously
only setup 32-bit Win32 & Mandrake platforms using the XAMPP package
(which won't run on the Debian 64-bit platform), so any help would be
much appreciated.
--
Richard Jones
Leeds, UK