perl-modperl mailing list archives

From David Scott <ds94...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Zend PHP
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:06:53 GMT
Chris Shiflett wrote:
> Zend makes their money by releasing a better version of PHP
> that is less buggy and has less security issues.
>

> That's why Yahoo, Wikipedia, Flickr, Digg, and others don't use Zend
> products. They like the buggy and insecure PHP. Or, maybe you don't know
> what you're talking about. I can't decide.

OK guys, take a deep breath.

Platform choice is a really touchy issues in a lot of shops these days.
Our company just went through a fairly painful exercise trying to decide
whether we should dump our (admittedly poorly designed) legacy mod_perl
app in favor of PHP or Rails.  We finally decided to refactor what we
had to run as a Catalyst app with a DBIx::Class data abstraction layer.
We haven't finished it yet, but so far, so good.  Here are a couple of
things to consider:

1. Do you have a lot of legacy Perl code?  If so, do you really want to
recode everything in PHP?  It will cost you a fortune and take a long time.
2.  There are many reasons for choosing one platform over another but
some mythical "support" promise isn't one of them.  You're going to
spend a lot of time looking stuff up on your own no matter what you do -
and you'd be crazy to leave key platform decisions to someone else.
3. Does it really matter?  In the AJAX-ified, Web 2.0 world, a lot of
the effort goes into Javascript and CSS anyway - whether you're
constructing the templates and serving the JSON using Java or Ruby or
Perl or PHP doesn't really matter that much any more.