perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: DProf - managing the tmon.out files
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 22:17:49 GMT
Tristan Greaves wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got DProf working successfully on a development modperl server
> here.  It is producing tmon.out files as expected:
>
>     proceed_id/tmon.out
>
> Any given tmon.out file will contain all the timing information for all
> scripts run under that process ID.
>
> However, we want to work on allowing easy profiling of individual scripts.
>
> One way that comes to mind would be to limit the number of scripts that
> a mod_perl server will run to 1, before it reforks.  Not exactly
> efficient, but at least a single tmon.out file would contain one set of
> timing information.  A lot of files though...
>
> In addition, we like having the single continous process up as it helps
> us spot any accidental variable persistance problems.
>
> So, can anyone suggest any good ways of splitting up the tmon.out data
> into individual scripts?  Or is biting the bullet and running the
> "limiting" method the best way to go?
I don't think you have many other choices.  httpd -X or in the
httpd.conf limit t he number of children to 1 and have 1 parent (prefork
mpm obviously)

You can always collate the output of each dprofpp tmon.out (sum them)
but you won't be able to isolate one script from another.

1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

I never had a dream come true
'Til the day that I found you.
Even though I pretend that I've moved on
You'll always be my baby.
I never found the words to say
You're the one I think about each day
And I know no matter where life takes me to
A part of me will always be...
A part of me will always be with you.