perl-modperl mailing list archives

From John ORourke <john-modp...@o-rourke.org>
Subject Re: SOAP
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 16:39:29 GMT
Martin Moss wrote:
> It's been a while since I've posted, but I have a new
> project which has a SOAP interface. I have limited
> experience with SOAP, so I was wondering if there is a
> consensus of opinion as to what the best modules to
> use are?

I'm with Perrin, SOAP::Lite is the one.  I've successfully built a
SOAP::Lite server that works with a C# .NET client - it was tricky but
works well now.  The hardest thing was writing a WSDL file - Pod::WSDL
isn't complete enough for most purposes and .NET couldn't stomach its
output.  In the end we wrote a dummy service in .NET and used the
generated WSDL, then made sure the Perl complied with that.

> to a webpage... But eventually we may use SOAP to pass
> data around between Classes. Although I'm not sure if
> this would be overkill.

If the classes are all in the same process, it's more than overkill!
SOAP is for standards-based platform independent method calls between
remote systems, and it does that very well.

If the client and server support it, you could look at the
lighter-weight JSON or YAML as Jonathan suggested, but I would avoid
those if you don't have control of both client and server software.

John