perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jeremy Wall <jer...@marzhillstudios.com>
Subject Apache2.2 - openssl 0.9.8d - modperl 2.03 unpredictable timeouts during requests
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:05:03 GMT
Hello,
	This is my first posting to the mod_perl mail list. I'm looking forward to
conversing with the folks here.

	I'm having a problem that has me stumped. I'm running Apache 2.2 with
mod_perl 2.0.3 on Windows 2000 server. Specifially the latest XAMPP
distribution because it was the easiest way to get working OpenSSL on
Windows. It's a dell server with quad 2 gig processors 2 gigs of memory and a
raid 5 scsi drive array. The application in question is a custom perl
application using a custom templating system. I'm also running PostgreSQL 8.1
for the database on the same machine. I'm not having any performance issues
with the database that I can tell so I don't think it has anything to do with
that.

	I'm using a mod_perl response handler for the pages in question. Periodically
and with no pattern I can detect a page request will simply timeout. No error
appears in the error logs and no information that gives me a clue can be
found even after turning on debug level logging. I've tried google searches,
#Apache and #perl on Freenode. No one so far has been able to give me any
insight. I'm looking for any help someone can give me that might point to
either a solution or where I can look to find one. The only clues I can find
that might be related are these:

 1. There are some unclean shutdowns reported in the debug level logging
 2. I do have a few FIN_WAIT_2 connections states lingering when using netstat
 3. It seems subjectively (but not confirmed) to happen less often when
connecting without SSL
 4. It does not have any visible correlation to cpu useage, Memory useage, or
hard drive useage.

I don't even know if these are helpful but I'm including the information
anyway. The same requests that time out one time will succeed the very next
time you make it. You can make the request several times in a row and only
fail once or you might fail multiple times. It happens from both Mozilla and
IE and Konqueror on Windows or Linux OS'es for the clients. If needed I can
provide logs, configuration files, and even *some* sourcecode but I didn't
want to flood the list with attachments unless it was going to be helpful. I
hope someone out there can give me some insight into this.

Jeremy Wall
http://jeremy.marzhillstudios.com/
jeremy@marzhillstudios.com