perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <jvana...@2xlp.com>
Subject Re: Zend PHP
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 16:00:43 GMT

On Mar 8, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Martin Moss wrote:

> I just had a demo of the Zend Platform and framework
> for php.
> It's got some really nice stuff, but ultimately the
> reason we may decide to ditch perl and move to php
> (hmmmm I know booo) will be down to support. OR
> lackthereof for Perl...
>
> So my question is, given I'm not a php fan, Is there
> an equivalent PERL based commercial entity who will
> provide support for a medium sized web outfit?

Forgive me--

What kind of support do you need / expect to be getting from Zend
that you'll need for perl.

I still use php a bit -- a lot of the issues that Zend address in
their products are fixing up the general release of PHP which is
filled with security issues and configuration problems.  You just
don't have that with many other platforms.  Zend makes their money by
releasing a better version of PHP that is less buggy and has less
security issues.

Move to PHP if you want the features & functionality it has to offer,
and feel more comfortable programming it than Perl or find it easier
getting better developers.  Choosing PHP  over 'support' that you
will probably only need because you're shifting your platform from
perl to php seems like a ridiculously funny joke more than a sound
business decision.

// Jonathan Vanasco