perl-modperl mailing list archives

From c chan <cchan19...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: system() call fails without lefting any status
Date Sat, 13 Jan 2007 05:19:57 GMT
>>c chan wrote:
>>> A simple system call like system("app & > /dev/nuil ") in a CGI
>>> aborts  the CGI without  leaving any status in the error_log. Did
>>> anyone experence anything like this?
>>
>>No.  Experiment with it.  Take the & off.  Take the STDOUT redirection
>>off.  See what causes it.
>
>Thanks for the suggestion, I willl try that today.

I removed the '&', and the system call turns out finished running except with STDOUT disabled.
 The sub scripts may have the string '> /dev/null' appended in the system call which re-routed
all output to /dev/null.

I will try to experiment restoring STDOUT as suggested by the document.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#STDIN__STDOUT_and_STDERR_streams

- Clement