perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Alex Beamish" <tal...@gmail.com>
Subject Forking to an interactive program under mod_perl
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:18:56 GMT
Hi,

I have described the challenge I'm facing in some detail here

  http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=589147

but essentially I want to launch Ghostscript in an interactive session, and
talk to it interactively through a mod_perl request handler.

The code that I am trying to run (this is what calls Ghostscript) already
works fine from the command line, but it uses IPC::Open2, something that
mod_perl isn't happy with (it complains about not being able to find FILENO
in Apache::RequestRec). I have bashed away at IPC::Run, because that seems
to be the appropriate replacement under mod_perl, but for some reasons the
pipe going to Ghostscript is never read by Ghostscript .. so no output is
forthcoming.

I was also pointed to Expect, but that suffers from the same problem as
IPC::Open2 -- mod_perl doesn't like it (it complains about not being able to
find CLOSE in Apache::RequestRec). I've also looked into using
Apache2::SubProcess, and that may be something I try in the future, but the
server I'm working on is Apache 1.3 so I don't believe that option is
available to me.

What I'm trying to do is come up with scaled page images from a PDF on the
fly. Thus, I want to launch Ghostscript and then ask for a couple of page
images. So, launching Ghostscript and getting the first page might happen on
the first request; subsequent requests would come back to the Ghostscript
session left running from the first request, and thus would be able to
quickly produce the required page image.

Suggestions welcome.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario