perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <jvana...@2xlp.com>
Subject Re: Forking to an interactive program under mod_perl
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:35:57 GMT

On Dec 13, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> However, you could also avoid the problem by running only one
> apache process.

That line got me thinking...

I wouldn't do one apache process -- i'd do an entirely new server.

Make another mod_perl server (or use a twisted python server, cos its
good for stuff like that ) that  ONLY handles ghostscript.  Instead
of talking sockets like in the  other  post, it speaks via http.  It
would be like having a second daemon work on things-- except its not
really a daemon but a gs dedicated mp server.

Your main server works  as-is.   Instead of opening a ghostscript
file, it does  a URL get to tell the other server 'start a new
session'.  Handle everything with URL  commands - why? because  its
way easier than sockets and you can test it using a normal web browser.

The ghostscript-only server is single  process (no children)-- so you
can leave stuff open and just run a periodic check to expire old
documents.

Your main server just stores some session data for the  current state
of the  ghostscript session.  you can

// Jonathan Vanasco