perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Robert Landrum <rland...@aol.net>
Subject Re: Forking to an interactive program under mod_perl
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:49:07 GMT
Alex Beamish wrote:
> I'll deal with multiple documents with some combination of stale timers
> and LRU slots, but that's not really what I see as the most complicated
> or difficult part of this problem. For this particular application, my
> inactivity timer will probably by 10-15 minutes, and I'll expect to have
> 6-8 documents open at any given time, so it shouldn't be a big drain on
> memory. And I will probably be able to set something up that signals
> that a document has been expired as well .. (this is just me thinking
> out loud) ..
>
> Thanks for your feedback .. I think named pipes is my next focus.

Sockets will be the way to go on this, rather than pipes.  I don't want
to say pipes are a dead technology, but by using sockets, you can move
your gs application off your web servers (if load ever gets that high)
without having to rewrite any code, something that isn't possible with a
pipe (not without netcat, anyway).

There's probably a good reason for it, but why not just pre-generate all
of your page images?  Even when new documents are added, a cron could be
setup to come along (once a minute even) and convert those PDFs to
images.  Are these PDFs dynamically generated?

Rob