perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Robert Landrum <rland...@aol.net>
Subject Re: Forking to an interactive program under mod_perl
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:13:56 GMT
Alex Beamish wrote:
> What I'm trying to do is come up with scaled page images from a PDF on
> the fly. Thus, I want to launch Ghostscript and then ask for a couple of
> page images. So, launching Ghostscript and getting the first page might
> happen on the first request; subsequent requests would come back to the
> Ghostscript session left running from the first request, and thus would
> be able to quickly produce the required page image.
>
> Suggestions welcome.

What you're gonna need is a daemon that lives outside of mod_perl.  It's
job will be to answer ghost script requests made from within your
mod_perl handler, track open files, purge unused files, and generally do
all the things you want to do.  I don't really see a clean way to do it
otherwise.

I've never used it, but doing a CPAN search revealed GSAPI, a perl
GhostScript interface.  That might be a good place to go.

Good luck,

Rob