perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: Apache2::Upload and End of file found error Part 2
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:07:33 GMT
cfaust-dougot wrote:
> Thanks for the tips Fred, but I don't understand what you mean about the CGI object being
shared between requests - that CGI object wasn't global or anything, its created and used
within that sub and that's it??

Argh you're right - since it was created in the global hash I thought it
was part of the globals and didn't look closely enough.  You don't need
it if you're using Apache::Request though.  You can use Apache::Request
_or_ CGI, you don't need to use both at the same time.

> I don't know if I can remove the use of CGI.pm completely, is there no way to get them
to work together??

> Thanks
> -Chris
>
> ________________________________

out that somehow creating a new CGI object is causing the problem but I have no idea how or
what to do.

>> Below is a bare bone test upload script, if you comment out the "my $CGI = new CGI();"
in the sub "init_global_vals" then the update works fine, if its uncommented then the server
error of "End of file found" happens.

>> http://208.3.90.212/test.pm.txt
>>
>> I have no idea how one relates to the other, any ideas?
>
> I'm not sure why you would want a CGI object shared between requests but
> my guess is that it's doing something strange as a result and I can't
> see any advantage to that approach.  If you don't have that $CGI object
> around and it works fine that might be telling you that it's causing
> trouble and not helping.
>
> A few other comments that might keep you from running into other problems:
>
> 1) 'perldoc vars' - use 'our' in favor of 'use vars'
>
> 2) don't use global variables unless you really need them and they serve
> a useful purpose ($template_header and $template_footer globals are ok
> since they are stateless, $CGI objects are not)
>
> 3) try the latest version of libapreq, 2.08.  I don't think it will fix
> your existing problem (which the $CGI seems to be the root of), but
> there have been a number of bug fixes since the release you're using.
>
> 4) Take a look at Apache::DBI instead of keeping $db in a global -
> $db = ISMH::ConnectDBUser->connect_to_db();
>
> HTH  - I think the simple issue to fix your problem is don't use a
> global $CGI object FWIW
>
>> Thanks
>> -Chris

is "End of file found" in the error log.