perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Michael Peters <mpet...@plusthree.com>
Subject Re: light+ssl/heavy and conf management
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:50:46 GMT

Adam Prime x443 wrote:

> I'm in the process of moving about a half a dozen domains to a
> light/heavy setup with SSL being done on the light server and proxied to
> the backend on localhost.  I've been trying to find a good way to
> minimize the potential to have inconsistencies in the configuration of
> the front, SSL, and backend servers, and it seems like the most obvious
> way to do that would be to use a single configuration file, using
> IfDefine's to specify what's supposed to be for who.

We actually take a different approach for this. We used a templated configs
(HTML::Template, but Template Toolkit would work just fine too). We have a
single source for the data (in our case another config file, but you could
easily just use a DB) and 2 separate configs for the proxy and application server.

The configurations between the 2 would be very different (SSL, IP addresses,
Keep-Alive settings, mod_perl, etc) that it's just easy to keep them separate.
Sometimes we use the same binary for each, just with different configs.

This works out really well. We even have a start/stop script for each project
that will take the data, put it into the templates, generate the configs and
restart the apaches. For an example of this, check out Krang -
http://krang.sourceforge.net

--
Michael Peters
Developer