perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: [mp2] PAR in production?
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 19:10:24 GMT
On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 12:28 -0600, Frank Wiles wrote:
>>    What I have always done is package my applications as if they
>>    are CPAN modules using ExtUtils::MakeMaker or in more recent
>>    days Module::Build. Never had a problem with it, but it probably
>>    isn't suited to distributing apps to novice users.
>
> We do the same sort of thing here, with an automated build script that
> builds apache, mod_perl, and our modules from source.  You can see some
> work on generalizing that for others to use here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/matchstick

I like this approach, but it still requires a perl binary to make
everything happen.  The default perl compile on a lot of systems out there
is threaded, and built for general use.  Have you found a way
of shipping a custom perl build in addition to all the other components?

Over a year ago I wrote a variation on what you described, but
additionally it bootstrapped perl from source, then build apache, mod_perl,
and the modules.  Bootstrapping perl from source was troublesome, and
generally sucked - everything else worked fairly well.  I've been
experimenting with building a perl rpm for redhat, but I've found that to
be less than painless to build one that provides a second binary in
addition to the system binary.  Any thoughts?