perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjet...@opera.com>
Subject Re: Loading at startup to use shared memory
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:57:56 GMT
On Monday 06 November 2006 19:03, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> i've found the reports of shared/unshared memory to be completely
> useless

mmm, OK.

> the only way i've been able to  bench memory usage is to run TOP in a
>   terminal, and then kill/start apaches with new min_children
> settings, to find out the cost of the base memory , + each child.

Exactly what numbers are you then reading out of top then?

>  then make 100-500 requests on each child to test the process growth.

OK.

> which version of apache are you using?

My test system is just upgraded to Ubuntu edgy, while our production
servers are Debian Sarge. This translates to 2.0.55 and 2.0.54,
respectively. Both systems run mp 2.0.2.

> are you using threads?

My test system uses mainly defaults, the production servers use preform
MPM, which I guess means no.

> on my app, which i've extensively profiles, i've got about  110MB of
>   shared memory, and each  child consumes 10-20 mb of unshared memory

Wow, that's very nice.

--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Information Systems Developer