perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan <modperl-l...@2xlp.com>
Subject forking/subprocess/etc
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:55:07 GMT
Right now in a modperl app, I have this functionality:

	mod-perl request 1:
		User requests a contact list to be imported from the internet,
		mp logs a 'request' to a database, redirects to status page

	python daemon
		continually checks database for import requests, performs import,
cleans up requests

	mod-perl request 2+
		checks for import request status, reload every 20s

That  works perfect for most of my stuff...

however, a new function I've just worked out has a rather lengthy
logic system and series of Regex calls that are already written in Perl.
Its not like a lot of the admin/management stuff in python, and i
dont feel like converting stuff today

so i need to get this handled within mod_perl somehow, and am a bit
uneasy on how to handle this

Possible Solutions:
	handle import within mod_perl
		No.
			Import can take 5-200s, as it requires downloading multiple URLs.
That blocks apache.
	fork() within mod_perl
		Probable No.
  			online docs suggest this will fork apache+modperl, which would
take up too much memory
			child processes will persist as zombies when complete

i've got to be missing something

anyone have a clue?  the archives on the list aren't very helpful.

// Jonathan Vanasco