perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@taperfriendlymusic.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl2 installed, but scripts still slow
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:28:09 GMT
Dietmar Thal wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have recently upgraded from mod perl 1.999 to 2.0.2
> on Apache 2.0.54 (Debian).
> Some more hints:
> After installing, when i tried to restart Apache,
> error.log said, it cant find Apache2.pm in @INC,
> so i removed the line 'PerlModule Apache2' from my conf.
> Or is it needed?

Take a look at http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html#Effects
and adjust your setup accordingly.  From your post it sounds like you
had the pre-naming change 1.999 version.

> I recognized that my scripts are being executed very
> slow, especially the first request (after server restart)
> needs about 4 seconds until a response begins.
>
> I'm using Petal-templating and stuff, which was very slow
> on my local machine (Win XP) until i gave mod_perl a try.
> But now on our live-server (Debian) it seems as if the
> scripts are not being accelerated through mod_perl.
>
> I tried to find out if mod_perl is properly installed,
> $ENV{'MOD_PERL'} says 'mod_perl/2.0.2'.
> Is there a reliable method to find out if the scripts
> are being 'processed' through mod_perl?

If you show us some of your template processing code, and a sample
request, I could give you a more educated answer.  Although I haven't
used Petal, several people on this list have.

> My setup:
>
> <Files ~ "\.(html|pl|pm)$">
>   SetHandler perl-script
>   PerlHandler ModPerl::Registry
>   PerlSendHeader On
> </Files>
>
> For installation, i followed instructions on
> http://apache.perl.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html#Dynamic_mod_perl

Looks ok to me but I haven't used the registry approach for what it's worth.

 > And when i restart Apache, i have this notice in error.log:
>
> [Sun Aug 20 04:30:57 2006] [notice] FastCGI: process manager initialized
> (pid 11303)
>
> For my understanding: FastCGI == mod_perl?
> And if not, what is FastCGI for?

FastCGI ne mod_perl
http://www.fastcgi.com/

> You'll propably notice, that i am quite a mod_perl newbie,
> so thanks for your patience :)

No problem, hope some of that helps.  We could give more help if you
show us what you're trying to do with your code though :)