perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: Memory leak in mod_perl?
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:57:45 GMT
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 12:24 +0200, Andreas Rieke wrote:
>> it runs well using about 300 M of 1 G physical RAM.
>> However, the remaining RAM decreases day by day, and after 2 or 3
>> weeks, the machine crashes because swapping takes too much time.
>> However, all processes together take about 250 MBytes according to ps,
>> thus I assume that the kernel takes the rest. free tells me in fact that
>> much swap space is used an nearly no physical RAM is left.
>
> I think you'd better get some monitoring on that system and find out
> what's really happening.  Log the size of the apache processes on a
> regular basis (or graph them with Cacti or MRTG) and see if they are the
> problem or not.
/dev/shm is allocated out of kernel heap space typically ~1GB, though you can change
this by changing the address space the kernel is loaded into.  When you hit the max, its a
hard panic/reboot
instantaneously.

You might try dropping the number of inodes for this to keep the size smaller.

At least thats my best guess.

"In all that I've done wrong I know I must have done something right to
deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night."
        <___/