perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgr...@pccc.com>
Subject Re: Receiving user input
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:27:16 GMT
As I stated, these routines were written before CGI.pm became a standard
module and we also have > 250K lines of perl code built on top of it just
for one installation I reviewed.

Anyway, for people wanting a non-CGI.pm way to do things, we've used this
routine for billions upon billions of page views.  That's what he asked for,
that's what I sent him.

PerlCMS (where this routine came from), is our framework.  I hope to open
source it sooner rather than later for many reasons, one of them being that
it solves a lot of problems that other frameworks do not.  The other being,
as you said, being able to get people that are trained in it.  The foremost
being that peer review and other people adding to the code is beneficial to
everyone.

However, with regards to people trained in one library or another,
fundamentally my view is that programming is a state of mind, not a
language.  A "real" programmer should be able to come up to speed easily in
about a week in almost any programming language with a little bit of source
code to look at, a peer to point him in the correct directions and a few
syntax books for reference.

Regards,
KAM