perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: mod_perl make test failed tests
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:34:09 GMT
On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Tyler MacDonald wrote:

> Lionel MARTIN <martinlio@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> To be honest, I'm running Apache, mod_perl and DBI under Win32 (+Mason) and
>> I can't complain about it.
>>
>> I'd like to test and compare with LAMP to see what's the best (in term of
>> speed and memory managament), but what you told me made me jump, thinking
>> "Am I doing a mistake when targetting to use Win32 on a production server?"
>>
>> Let me have your conclusuions if you can,
>
> 	I would never run a public server where I did not have the ability
> to inspect the source code that it ran on. I think that is a lot like
> driving a car where you can not pop open the hood, or drinking a can of pop
> that does not have a list of ingredients on it.

There's more appropriate forums for continuing that
line of discussion :)

As for what's best to use in a production server, there's
lots of choices, of course - you could look at LAMP,
although some would recommend FreeBSD for heavy network
traffic. A lot depends on your hardware, the anticipated
level of usage, whether most pages are expected to be
static or dynamic, etc. etc.

The great strides made with Apache/2.x on Windows
make it viable for use as a production server (which
many people do). The question about threads is
a bit academic here, as Apache uses it in their
mpm_winnt module for Windows, which was designed
from scratch and is optimized for use on Win32.
Similarly, ActivePerl 8xx (based on perl-5.8) has
made great gains, especially regarding thread
handling. So, especially if there's other reasons
for using Windows (eg, availability of other
applications), running Apache/Perl/... on Win32
these days is probably a legitimate option.

--
best regards,
Randy Kobes