perl-modperl mailing list archives

From John ORourke <john-modp...@o-rourke.org>
Subject logging recommendations
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 12:42:07 GMT
Hi folks,

I've written a largeish (80 modules, 20k lines) mod_perl CMS and
currently the logging is a mess.

I've looked at a few on CPAN, noteably Log::Common, but I really want
something which:

 - allows a single, global debugging level
 - does not require each module to have access to Apache (the CMS
modules may be called from cron jobs)

I'm thinking that something I can just 'use' in each module which has a
BEGIN block to read its config (perhaps from httpd.conf), open the log
files, and class methods for logging would be the neatest approach - eg:

use My::Logger qw( log );
    log($level,__PACKAGE__,$message)

Any recommendations?  Should I do something Croak-like?

If there's nothing out there I'll happily write something and share it.

cheers
John