perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <modperl-l...@2xlp.com>
Subject Re: yaml + bindings to other languages
Date Sat, 06 May 2006 16:53:00 GMT

On May 6, 2006, at 12:34 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> I recommend using Imager.  It's fast and easy to install.  Seems to
> be the image library of choice in Perl these days.
I'll give it a shot.  Never heard of it before.

> Has anyone benchmarked YAML against XML in Perl?  YAML seems to go
> to some trouble to make the output pretty.
There's this

http://idisk.mac.com/christian.hansen/Public/perl/serialize.pl

Here are just the speed marks for those that don't want to click the
link
----
Deflate
                        Rate
YAML                 99.0/s
Data::Taxi            495/s
XML::Simple           875/s
PHP::Serialization   1141/s
JSON                 1185/s
RPC::XML             1305/s
YAML::Syck           2372/s
JSON::Syck           2572/s
FreezeThaw           2865/s
Convert::Bencode     3223/s
Storable             4709/s
Convert::Bencode_XS 10751/s

Inflate
                        Rate
YAML                 75.5/s
XML::Simple           195/s
PHP::Serialization    246/s
Data::Taxi            366/s
JSON                  449/s
Convert::Bencode      528/s
FreezeThaw            923/s
RPC::XML              993/s
Convert::Bencode_XS  1066/s
YAML::Syck           3140/s
JSON::Syck           3318/s
Storable            16592/s
----

As you can see YAML is indeed slow.  But for session (un)
serialization its completely unusable.

I did all of my xmlhhtprequest using the JSON pure perl module, and
felt a big ease on resources when i found that syck module.

Using the syck binding for yaml with session serialization totally
saved me though.