perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "JupiterHost.Net" <mli...@jupiterhost.net>
Subject Re: Mail::POP3Client and pdf decode
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:27:55 GMT

Charlie Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to decode an email that was pop'd. After writing
> the body to a disk file using the perl Mail::POP3Client routine
> $pop->BodyToFile( $fh, 1);
>
> It looks all like text. So, I run following command to translate

by "it looks all like text" do you mean its "like words" or "an ascii
armoured" string?

> body of mime message back to pdf for reading.
> perl -MMIME::Base64 -ne 'print decode_base64($_)' <test.txt >test.pdf

test.txt is base64 encoded verison correct?

does it have anytyhing in it that is not part of the encoding?

If so then you're decoding that line and putting it in the pdf file

After making sure test.txt is clean:

perl -mstrict -MFile::Slurp -MMIME::Base64 -we 'my $b64 =
read_file("test.txt");write_file("test.pdf", decode_base64($b64));'

It cortaks if one of them fail so you're all set AFA error checking...

> No error messages, but file size is different from original file poped

Yes, the base 64 encoded verison will be a differtent size than the guts
that were encoded...

> from email attachment. When pdf file is brought up in browser, there
> is no data.

- Is the decoded version 0 in size?
- are you outputting a header to tell the browser its a PDF?
- any errors in screen, logs, etc

Example code and url's to the symptoms would be extrememly handy to
diagnose the problem, no?