perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <modperl-l...@2xlp.com>
Subject Petal & ModPerl - PreCaching
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:06:11 GMT

I submitted a patch a few weeks ago that should be in the next
upgrade to petal, though I don't know when that will be .

I should have cc'd this list when i did.  Some of you might find it
useful - its a quick & dirty hack that will let you pre-cache petal
templates during startup.pl

it ended up saving me A TON in performance, by moving all of the
templates into shared memory

it adds 'cache_only => 1' as an option to the constructor, which
bypasses the error caused by an invalid datasource and returns true.
( imho, settings cache_only is better than regexing an eval error
message to figure out if you can ignore it or not )

i use it as such:

==
# startup.pl
	my 	@template_files ;
	use File::Find;
	find(\&wanted, ( $Config::ServerLayout::TemplateDir ) );
     sub wanted { ... }
     foreach my $template ( @template_files ){
		my	$template = Petal->new( file 	=> $file, base_dir =>
'/',cache_only => 1,);
		$template->process();
	}
==

the patch below has code only, i can't find the docs i wrote.  but it
doesn't change anything other than adding that bypass argument.