perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <modperl-l...@2xlp.com>
Subject Re: syntax vs. style
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:41:43 GMT

On Mar 27, 2006, at 9:42 AM, Frank Wiles wrote:
>   Overall great advice in this thread, but I wanted to point out
>   that with Apache2::Reload this isn't strictly the case.  You can
>   set it to reload certain modules or all without a server restart,
>   however I personally wouldn't use it in production as there is very
>   little benefit.

Apache::Reload doesn't always work too.  two scenarios

a_ if you have stuff that happens in a BEGIN block, or stuff that
references something in a begin block (example: module a: has a begin
block that pulls config info from a DB.  module b: on startup (after
begin) parses that config info into a specific datastructure --
apache:restart won't help you if you have to modify a or b.  )

b_	In the past , if you needed to make 20 changes to a file on your
dev box to trace soemthing down, after 10 or so changes you could see
a bunch of namespace issues come up.  I *think* thats fixed now
though.  but it might not be.