perl-modperl mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: Migrating from MySQL to PostGres -- Any mod_perl specific things I should be wary of?
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:13:09 GMT
On Mar 10, 2006, at 12:26, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> I'm not referring to SQL traits or DBI differences, but any little
> tricks  or odd things that might happen when using the pg dbi under
> apache

The only one I can think of (and my information might be severely out-
of-date) is that you can open a MySQL connection before Apache forks
and have it still work in the children, but the same is not true for
PostgreSQL (or most other databases, for that matter). If you use
Apache::DBI, there should be no problem. Otherwise, just be sure that
you have no database connections open when apache forks. Close any
that you open on startup, and only open them when you get the first
request in each child. This is good practice for MySQL, too, FWIW.

Otherwise, everything just works.

Best,

David