perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <...@2xlp.com>
Subject Re: Database transaction across multiple web requests
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:07:03 GMT

On Mar 31, 2006, at 12:56 PM, pedersen@meridian-enviro.com wrote:
> PostgreSQL uses LIMIT 10 OFFSET 20 where mysql uses LIMIT 20,10
> (notice
> the swap).  I don't know if it is "standard", but if it is, vendors
> aren't following the standard.

There's no SQL standard for Limit and Offset.

But in general , MySQL doesn't follow many standards right now -- but
they are improving.  A few years ago, their approach was "Lets do
this fast, and  then migrate towards standards", while postgres was
the opposite.  They're both pretty much accomplished their goals, now
Postgres is going for speed and MySQL is going for standards.  You'll
notice that a lot of mysql queries written with 'mysqlisms' will not
work in Postgres or most other dbs and vice versa - but you can often
write the same query in more standard approach (they just look a bit
different and dont seem to take advantage of some of the mysql
optimizations).  It's something you should keep in mind if there's a
chance you might need to swap dbs.  I went through a 2.5 week
nightmare porting code from mysql to postgres earlier this month.