perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Will Fould" <willfo...@gmail.com>
Subject changing global data strategy
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 05:05:26 GMT
an old issue:
   "a dream solution would be if all child processes could *update* a large
global structure."

we have a tool that loads a huge store of data (25-50Mb+) from a
database into many perl hashes at start up: each session needs access to all
these data but it would be prohibitive to use mysql or another databases for
multiple, large lookups (and builds), at each session:  there are quite a
few structures, each are very big.

if the data never changed, it would be trivial; load/build just at
start-up.

but since the data changes often, we use a semaphore strategy to determine
when childern should reload/rebuild the structures (after updates have been
made).

this is painful. there has got to be a better way of doing this - I've seen
posts on memcache and other, more exotic animals.

can someone point me in the right direction: a reference/read, or a stable
modules that exist for our situation?

thanks in advance,
william