perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Foo Ji-Haw <jhfoo...@extracktor.com>
Subject Re: No image creation in mod_perl (was RE: Apache2/MP2 Segfaults ...)
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:18:02 GMT
Hey Carl,

> The only place where forking is useful is where you want something to
> continue processing after sending the response back to the client.
>
> You can achieve the same effective result by calling
> $r->child_terminate()
> (assuming your using pre-fork). The currently running child exits at
> the end
> of the request freeing any memory it's allocated, and the main apache
> server
> process will fork a new child to replace it if needed.
This revelation of how Perl does not free up memory it allocates is
worrying, especially as I do process large documents regularly.

If I read you right, you are saying that $r->child_terminate will force
the current thread to terminate, causing Apache to create a new thread.
Is that right? I use 'threads' in place of 'processes' as I refer to the
Windows implementation of Apache.

Thanks.