perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Christopher H. Laco" <cl...@chrislaco.com>
Subject Re: Apache2/MP2 Segfaults when loading Text::Textile
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:39:36 GMT
Tom Schindl wrote:
> As a sidenote often it is not really desired/dangerous to run image
> creation as a mod_perl handler because of the nature of perl, memory
> allocated once is never freed until the process shutdowns or is killed
> (by your Apache::SizeLimit handler).
>
> I'm not familiar with fastcgi but you should make sure that the
> fcgi-process is killed when a certain amout of memory is exhausted like
> you would make it with Apache::SizeLimit.
>
> Tom

In this particular case, it has nothing to do with image create, but
image size detection.  Text::Textile will load Image::Size, which will
load ImagE::Magick... all just to put width/height into an img tag
Textile is creating for a specified image.

Sure, Image::Info would be a better choise for Textile, but I just the
site up without core dumping apache, or having to rewrite 3 other CPAN
modules.

-=Chris