perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Foo Ji-Haw <jhfoo...@extracktor.com>
Subject Re: Modperl2 question
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 04:34:54 GMT

> Sure, libapreq and its included modules are the fastest way to parse
> parameters and handle cookies.  However, hardly anyone needs that
> speed.  Most people are spending all of their time talking to a
> database or doing other I/O tasks, or have pretty minimal web traffic,
> or both.
That's true. I spend more time optimising the database and the web ui
then anything.

> If you're writing something new, and you don't care about supporting
> CGI, and you want to use the fastest option, by all means give
> libapreq a try.  For most people though, it won't make any measurable
> difference which one you use.  I wouldn't advise anyone to bother
> changing CGI.pm code unless they've run a profiler and seen it show up
> high enough to matter.
Apache2::Request, and Apache2::Cookie looks like compatible replacements
to CGI and CGI::Cookie. I think that's the objective anyway, so that
when the need arises, it's just a simple replacement from the root
function call (assuming factoring has been done). I think the difference
will be whether the web application is a high traffic site-low cpu site,
or a high cpu-low traffic one. The performance gain for the former will
be more significant.