perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Concurrency with mod_perl 2.01 on Windows
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 04:57:30 GMT
One thing that causes a significant performance degredation on Win32 is
fixed, we are looking at the second issue.

In APR, unbuffered writes were system-level flushing.  I believe this
had to do with some early network testing and multiple-writer concurrency
issues, but the end result is unacceptable, and you may be seeing this.
2.0.56 and 2.2.1 will likely incorporate this fix.

The other is multi-process concurrency using file level locking from byte
0 to -1 (unlimited).  This too has proven very slow, although I'm not yet
sure how much the previous issue impacted this apparent performance.

Effectively, on Unix write() is atomic, and in append mode, safe across
processes/threads.  On win32, we need to emulate this behavior.  That said,
just be aware that we are researching this.

The patch to the already committed quirk for 2.0 windows is here;

Let us know if this alters your observed performance.

Yours,

Bill