perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>
Subject Re: Perl/Apache - multiple threads/processes question
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:58:35 GMT
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:24:41 -0800 (PST)
Raghunath Verabelli <iamvela@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am new to Perl/Apache world, any suggestions
> regarding my below question is appreciated.
>
> I have a web application (say A) developed using
> Perl/CGI and running in Apache web server.
> Now I have a need to develop another application (say
> B) running asynchonously to update some of the
> tables being used by application A.
> Assuming B is developed in perl/CGI, any ideas how A
> can communicate to B when running in Apache?
> Does perl support inter process communication?
> or Will they be considered as separate threads in
> Apache? Does apache support that?
>
> Any pointers/comments on how to proceed?

  There are tons of different ways to do this.  I would suggest
  looking into the different ways to do RPC with Perl for your
  operating system or use the database itself to communicate
  between the two processes.

  There isn't much inside of Apache or mod_perl that will help
  you with this, but just because you are in an Apache/mod_perl
  environment doesn't mean you can't use the standard Perl tools.

   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org