perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Bennett Haselton <benn...@peacefire.org>
Subject Re: errors in module.t & others when installing mod_perl
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 02:04:42 GMT
At 07:38 PM 2/1/2006 -0600, Frank Wiles wrote:
>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:25:06 -0800
>Bennett Haselton <bennett@peacefire.org> wrote:
>
> > Actually I thought that was the very first thing I had done before
> > starting to install mod_perl 2.0.2 on this machine.  If you don't
> > uninstall the older version of mod_perl first, you get a more or less
> > clear error message telling you that the problem is that the older
> > version is still present, and you need to get rid of it before
> > proceeding.
> >
> > But, just to make sure, I tried doing it again -- ran the command
> > find /usr/lib/perl5 -name 'Apache2*' -exec rm -rf {} \;
> > to clean out those files, and then did
> > perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/sbin/apxs
> >
> > and at the end of all the output I got a bunch of "server dumped
> > core" messages at the end.  This didn't happen the last time I did
> > "perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/sbin/apxs".  Any idea what happened
> > and how to fix it?
>
>   I didn't notice this before, but it looks like you're installing
>   on a RH/Fedora system.

Yep, turns out that's displayed in the SERVER_SOFTWARE environment variable
by CGI scripts on the server.  How did you know that? :)

>Have you removed the mod_perl rpm?

Nope.  I was following the steps at:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html#Effects
which said that the only thing I had to do was run this command:
find /usr/lib/perl5 -name 'Apache2*' -exec rm -rf {} \;

Do I have to do something else if I want to "remove the mod_perl rpm"?

>   I've never tried building mod_perl 2.0.2 against the installed
>   httpd RPM, but according to the install docs you need to use this
>   instead of just MP_APXS=:
>
>   % perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/path/to/apxs \
>     MP_APR_CONFIG=/another/path/to/apr-config
>
>   With MP_APR_CONFIG pointing to wherever apr-config is located on
>   your system.

Oh OK, I was going by the instructions at
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/Talks/mod_perl-2.0-from-cgi-fast.pdf
since they were the only set of instructions I could find on the entire
Internet that specified what to type (thank God that Google indexes PDF
files :) )  And
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html
says "a correctly built Apache shouldn't require the MP_APR_CONFIG option,
since MP_APXS should provide the location of this script."  I thought the
version of Apache on my machine was "correctly built" since it was, after
all, running, but maybe that means something other than what I think it
means.  Does "correctly built" actually mean "you built it on your system
the old fashioned way, with your own compiler"?

The problem with even the smallest ambiguities in the instructions is that
as the number of ambiguities increases, the likelihood that you misread at
least one of them, goes up exponentially!

I suppose lots of people must ask, "Why can't the installer be a single
program that I just run, like on Windows", but why can't it be?  A lot of
these tests and checks that I keep doing manually (and which lead to the
wrong results if the instructions are ambiguous) seem like things that
could be easily automated, couldn't they?  If for no other reason than to
make worthwhile all the work that the developers spent on mod_perl -- after
all that, how many people give up even trying to get it installed?  I have
spent three weeks trying to get this working, and every time I run into an
error, I seek out help and find out the instructions from the Web that I
was working off of, were incomplete, or wrong, and there's always one more
thing I have to do first.  An installer program can do all of this
automatically.

         -Bennett

bennett@peacefire.org     http://www.peacefire.org
(425) 497 9002