perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Syntax issue in Apache/TestConfig.pm TestUtil.pm
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:02:41 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
[...]

> $Config{sh}, $Config{perlpath}, and $Config{perl} comes from -this-
> perl, right?

right

> #/usr/bin/perl is a hardcode to an arbitrary perl installed at that
> location.
>
> What I'm trying (failing?) to point out is that on BSD and other
> platforms, if
> they have a bug, they can munge *PERL*, not ApacheTest, not each and
> every perl
> script which creates perl files, with an effective value of
> $Config{startperl}.

What you are missing Bill, is that there is no bug in perl or perl
installation. It's a shell limitation documented here:

     # see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang
     # http://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/std/shebang/

Hence the workaround was added.

> I don't have a BSD box in front of me; but if ApacheTest used
> $Config{startperl}
> rather than all of this other mechanics, then it would be up to BSD folks
> to help the entire Perl community by fixing this ONCE with MakeMaker,
> and be
> done with it.  By messing with constructing what MakeMaker's done since
> 5.0005
> we are putting more work on ourselves, no?

I think there are two somewhat unrelated issues that are being discussed
here -

1) using $Config{startperl} vs $Config{perlpath},

2) the issue with shebang code generation

I think Geoff is thinking that Bill is suggesting to tackle #1, whereas
Bill is only talking about #2.

Stas Bekman mailto:stas@stason.org  http://stason.org/
MailChannels: Assured Messaging(TM) http://mailchannels.com/
The "Practical mod_perl" book       http://modperlbook.org/