perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: Why is my apache parent process growing...
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:25:23 GMT
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 22:04 +0100, Len Kranendonk wrote:
> > How are you measuring this?
>
> top, or ps aux and watch the RSS column (the real memory (resident set)
> size of the process (in 1024 byte units)).

Okay, my other guess then is that your parent process really uses this
much memory at startup but FreeBSD doesn't count it as RES because of
copy-on-write.  Then, when things are not as shared later on because of
writes to memory in the child processes, you see the real size.  That
wouldn't really make much sense though, since I'd expect the parent
process to show the full original size.

> No, I'm not using Cache::FastMmap.

What about one of the apache caching modules that use memory-mapping?
Or maybe an SSL module that uses mmap'ed files to share data?

- Perrin