perl-modperl mailing list archives

From JT Smith ...@plainblack.com>
Subject Re: go crazy with me
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 05:48:55 GMT
Yup, I've actually already done it that way with both Parallel::ForkManager in one
instance and Proc::Queue as an alternative. I added in event handling with both Event
and Event::Lib as seperate trials. All those implementations were relatively easy to do.
But the question becomes, why? If everything else is running in Apache, why start a
seperate service to run these tasks? And again, I said I want to go crazy. Let's not
figure out how else we could do that (I already know that), but how could we do it using
Apache?

However, you're right, I should look back at the list archives and see what conclusions
other people asking similar questions came to. I guess I hadn't considered that this
question would have been asked before.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:28:42 -0500
  Perrin Harkins <perrin@elem.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 21:18 -0600, JT Smith wrote:
>> I want to turn it into a workflow system. If you think about it,
>> workflow is nothing but a set of transactional tasks (nothing new) with two additional

>> components (here's where it get's weird). The two additional components are cron

>> (scheduling) and queue (a task executor).
>
> Earl Cahill and I talked about how to use apache for a queue system on
> the list a while back.  In the end, we both decided it was a bad idea.
> Apache is a very flexible network server, but this task is very unlike a
> network server.  I ended up writing a simple forking daemon with
> Parallel::ForkManager that stores the queue in a database, and I think
> Earl ended up with something similar.
>
> - Perrin

JT ~ Plain Black
ph: 703-286-2525 ext. 810
fax: 312-264-5382
http://www.plainblack.com

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. ~ Adam Savage