perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Peter Walsham <pe...@axomic.com>
Subject [mp2] local %ENV causes Segmentation fault or Bus error
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:53:14 GMT

Phillip,

Thanks for your reply.

First off a bit of CPAN wierdness. With perl -MCPAN 'install Sys::HostIP'
you get version 1.0 (07 Jun 2000), rather than the latest version (1.3.1
29 Sep 2003), something to do with the change of owner (five->bluelines).
Unfortunately 1.0 is the only version which doesn't use local %ENV (...and
hostip() was the old method not the new one).

http://search.cpan.org/~five/Sys-HostIP-1.0 (07 Jun 2000)
http://search.cpan.org/~bluelines/Sys-HostIP-1.3.1 (29 Sep 2003)

Did you check how many httpd processes you had running?

ps -A | grep httpd | wc -l

You will only get the Seg fault or Bus error when a process comes round
for recycling.

For convenience you could reduce the number in httpd.conf:

<IfModule prefork.c>
 StartServers         1
 MinSpareServers      1
 MaxSpareServers      1
 MaxClients         150
 MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

I have actively tested this problem on 6 different machines (different
OSs and mod_per versions), and am therefore fairly sure it exists. I was
doing some testing as I am looking to upgrade to mod_perl 2.0. I have 30+
machines running 1.99_09 where local %ENV isn't a problem.

Cheers Pete

OpenAsset - Image Management for Architects, Designers & Engineers
Axomic Ltd
338 City Road
London EC1V 2PY
t: +44 (0)20 7239 8287
m: +44 (0)7812 122418
http://www.axomic.com

The information contained in this message is confidential and should not
be disclosed to any third party whether or not you are the intended
addressee indicated in the message. Any views or opinions presented are
Axomic Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you
have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
printing, forwarding or copying of this e mail is strictly prohibited.