perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@taperfriendlymusic.org>
Subject Re: go crazy with me
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:57:02 GMT
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Andreas> I'd also like to hear what people are doing when the apache model has
> Andreas> scaling problems. We have one problematic project here: we're a
> Andreas> gateway and must server a high number of very slow customers to a high
>
> Are you already using a reverse-proxy?  Make sure the front lightweight
> servers *do* use cache and *don't* use keep-alive to the backend...
> your heavy backend will spit the entire response, and go free to service
> the next request... your thin front-end will then deliver that response
> slowly as needed.

Can you explain a bit more why using keep-alives to the backend is not a
good thing?  I've always been under the impression from conference
lectures and literature that turning keep-alives on for the app server
is something you should do to reduce the overhead of creating new tcp
connections to the proxy server.