perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "JD Brennan" <Bren...@opsware.com>
Subject perl_alloc or perl_clone in multi-threaded app?
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:12:10 GMT
If this is too far off topic, can you suggest
where the experts on perl_alloc() and threads
hang out?

I'm trying to use Perl 5.8.7 (ActiveState) in
a multi-threaded Java app on Solaris 5.9 (dual-proc).

I have a test cases that crashes about 1% of the time:

Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=3D0xE6BBDF60
Function=3D[Unknown. Nearest: Perl_savesvpv+0x70]
Library=3D/home/brennan/dev/mainline/lib/JPerl/solaris/libjperl.so

I'm wondering if switching to perl_clone() instead
of perl_alloc() would help.  I haven't totally narrowed
it down yet, but it's crashing in one of these 3 routines:

perl_alloc()
perl_construct()
perl_parse()

mod_perl2 uses perlembed in a multi-threaded
environment.  And from looking at the code it uses
perl_clone().  Seems like perl_clone() would be
useful if I had a large parse tree to share between
threads (but I don't).  But maybe perl_clone() would
work better in a multi-threaded app.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers!

JD