perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: Class::DBI and CGI::Application under mod_perl
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:44:49 GMT
Clinton Gormley wrote:
> I have recently had a bit of exposure to Class:DBI and CGI::Application
> in a project running under CGI.
[...]
> What are the experiences/opinions of using these modules under mod_perl
> 2 on high traffic sites?

I'm currently using them on mod_perl 1, but it shouldn't matter.
CGI::Application is lightweight and fast.  It will not give you any trouble.

Class::DBI is significantly (about an order of magnitude) slower than
hand-coded DBI objects, but saves you a lot of development time, so my
current approach is to use it and replace things that end up being too
slow.  If you want to try something else, the developer of
Rose::DB::Object has a benchmark that shows his module falling somewhere
in between Class::DBI and straight DBI calls, although it's still much
slower than DBI.

- Perrin