perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Torsten Foertsch <torsten.foert...@gmx.net>
Subject Fwd: PAUSE indexer report OPI/Apache-DBI-Cache-0.06.tar.gz
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:35:17 GMT
Hi,

I have just uploaded Apache::DBI::Cache to cpan. The module aims at the same
problems as Apache::DBI but works different.

While Apache::DBI caches connections at connect time this module caches them
only at disconnect or DESTROY.

Apache::DBI does not distinguish between currently used and free connections.
Hence, it cannot support multiple identical connections. This module does.

Apache::DBI resets all connections at request cleanup. Apache::DBI::Cache
intercepts disconnect or DESTROY events to do that.

As does Apache::DBI it works with mp1 and mp2. It also provides handle
statistics via Apache::Status respectively Apache2::Status.
Apache::DBI::Cache can use BerkeleyDB as a shared memory implementation to
provide statistics for the whole Apache process group instead of a single
process.

Apache::DBI::Cache includes the DBD driver name in the caching key while
Apache::DBI does not. Hence with Apache::DBI the following 2 DSNs can result
in the same DBI handle: dbi:mysql:dbname=db and dbi:Pg:dbname=db

Apache::DBI::Cache has a plugin interface to treat different database types
specially.

I wrote this module because Apache::DBI had changed the logic of our programs.
Further, we had really much DSNs mostly MySQL in various configuration files
all using different syntaxes to connect to a dozen databases on 2 database
hosts. With the Apache::DBI::Cache and the mysql plugin we could strip the
number of connections down to a handful of permanent connections per Apache
process.

There are still cases when Apache::DBI::Cache changes the logic of your
program but less than with Apache::DBI.

Torsten