perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <jvana...@mastersofbranding.com>
Subject Re: is there a templating system that....
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:10:45 GMT
'all I want' is pretty much the idea.  Really a
lowest-common-denominator type thing.

I started out as a designer, then moved onto 'design tech' mediating
the arguments between the cto and the creative director.
two years ago my cto went on sabbatical to work on python and
twistedmatrix.  i had to take up all the backend server slack and
became defacto code-bitch.

working across the spectrum from design only to code only and in
between , I realized what works and is efficient for me and the people
I collaborate with -- and that is them making little pretty things and
not being able to have any control whatsoever of the logic in there.
Because when they can use it, they try to.  And they get ideas.  And
that only creates problems for me to fix.

The system/framework that I am set up is VERY specific to a workflow
and process that I (unfortunately) have to interact with.  I've tried
too many languages and frameworks to list - none of the fit just right
with our process.  So I'm building my own - but instead of building
something giant and wonderful from scratch as many people do, I'm
trying to subclass and utilize as many existing things as possible, and
just tie in things that work well for specific functions into a
framework that works specifically for my needs.  ( Which uses modules
to break a site into two structured hierarchies that mirror one another
- one for code, the other for templates.  The main site object uses a
dispatch table to invoke the necessary elements to create the requested
page beneath it, and each object traverse upwards to get templating
information for their object type if none is specifically provided.

Its nothing new, but its all tailored to a specific work ethic / work
style that I've been forced to get used to.

If I had 4 people under me, or 1/5 the work to do, I would LOVE to do
the smart thing / right thing -- and I would have used mason, or
template toolkit -- or built something more intelligent.  But I don't,
and believe it or not, this is saving me time.