perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: Clearsilver Templates
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 05:10:31 GMT
Praveen Ray wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience of using clearsilver
> (http://www.clearsilver.net) with mod_perl (1 or 2)?

I remember talking to the author at one point.

> Any comparisons of this with Template-Toolkit?

It will be less flexible (no simple handling of objects or complex
structures without rearranging them for the template), have fewer bells
and whistles (no wrappers, no plugins), and will not be possible to
extend with Perl.  In exchange, it might be faster, might use less
memory, and will be able to use the same templates from C code.  Yahoo
liked it because they could load a bunch of data from C (e.g. XS code
called from perl) without needing to turn it into perl data structures.

> The
> Template-Toolkit is getting rather slow for our needs and
> I'm looking around for alternatives.

That's pretty surprising.  Pure template processing is your bottleneck?
  Are you doing some kind of data processing or data retrieval from
inside of your templates?

A very fast templating tool for Perl, suitable for people who don't need
much beyond the basics, is HTML::Template::JIT.  It compiles templates
into small C libraries.

- Perrin