perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: web application speed problem with OO modules
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:42:52 GMT
Frank Wiles wrote:
>   Give Apache::SmallProf a try.  Where Apache::DProf shows you the
>   subroutine calls, SmallProf will show you a profile on a line by line
>   basis.  This should help you zero in on what is causing the slowness.

I'd say just the opposite in most cases.  Usually you want to see which
subs are taking the time.  SmallProf is mostly useful when your subs are
much too big.

It is very common though for people to not properly initialize the
debugger when using DProf and thus not get results for most of their
code.  That often leads them to think they should use a different
profiler, like SmallProf.

- Perrin