perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: CGI character translation???
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:44:59 GMT
Thom Hehl wrote:
> OK, not exactly perl, but this was the closest list I could find.
>
> I am running a perl CGI script that launches a java program. This java
> program writes output files that are delimited using what I believe to
> be a unicode character. On most editors it looks like an upside-down
> question mark, which I believe is correct. On some editors, it shows as
> a degree symbol. This character is represented by the hex pair 0xc2a1.
> Here is the character 'ยก'.
>
> Now here is the problem. When I test my java program everything is
> great. When I test the perl script to launch the java program, all is
> still well. When I run my perl script through CGI, though, it replaces
> each occurrence of the above character with ??. I cannot understand why
> the CGI is interfering with file output from my program. This is not
> going through display, but is directly writing this file. Anyone have
> any ideas?
>
> Also, if anyone can suggest a better list, I'd appreciate that too.
Are you using CGI.pm(what version if so) and are you passing this though
the $ENV{QUERY_STRING} ?

You might try a utf-8 perl list:

from http://lists.cpan.org/
this is the only one with utf-8 in the desc.

http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=perl-i18n

UTF-8 continually has bugs fixed and enhanced in the perl core.  What
version of perl are you using ?

Sorry I only asked questions, maybe they will point you somewhere useful.